Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Gotta have faith

Had another quick draw tonight. Nothing special. Couldn't really get into the mood. But I'm on holidays soon and hopefully I'll be drawing (nearly) every day! I'm gonna set up my home art studio, ready to draw, paint, tattoo and play my guitar.



So anyway... I'm going to practice a little bit of script writing in the mean time because it doesn't take so long to draw in one sitting as a portrait does. I copied the general idea for this Faith tattoo out of a magazine. The guy had it as a chest tattoo, spread right across his chest. My version is slightly smaller (about 3 inches long), a bit less complicated and a bit more wonky. I didn't use guides or tracing paper to ensure that all the letters were similar size/shape because I was just really wanting to draw *something* and to draw it now!

For this particular drawing, I tried outlining around the outside edge of the entire word, rather than each individual letter. I think it creates a pretty good effect when you shade it a little bit. I'm going to have another go at re-drawing this one, later, I think. Even up the letters a bit, use a guide to make it neater and more accurate, make the swirls more swirl-like and natural looking, and do it BIGGER so I can fit in more detail and maybe some sort of images in the background. Actually I just had the image in my head of the word sprouting up like a tree, from a seed, with cute little birds coming to rest in it's branches... a la Matthew 13:31-32. Hmm... maybe a project for tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment